Children’s Ministry Volunteers
God has called parents to be the greatest influence in the faith development of their children. Your involvement in Zion’s Sunday School ministries contributes to its success and fulfills the promises you made at your child’s baptism! Below is a list of opportunities for you to share your gifts. Please prayerfully consider and mark below the ways in which you will support your child during this year of Sunday School. We expect every family to find at least ONE area in which to volunteer each year – we couldn’t do it without you!!
Help with Sunday School
Sunday School Teacher
- Help lead a small group of children in discussion around a Bible story each week. Each class has 8-12 kids and at least 1 assistant (Shepherd). Depending on the lesson, you might also help lead a craft or other hands-on activity. Most every 4th Sunday is our Sanctuary Sunday when families worship together and there is no Sunday School.
Large Group Opening Leader
- Each week, Sunday School will begin with a large group opening time. We need some key adults to help with music, an intro to the Bible story, possibly a skit or activity around the lesson for each day. Must be willing to talk in front of large crowds.
Sunday School Shepherd
- Assist a teacher with a class of 8-10 kids in a small group setting. Come with a positive attitude and willingness to help in any way needed!
Large Group Opening Assistant
- Help with large group by assisting with music and/or giving an intro to the lesson for the day. Must be willing to talk in front of large crowds.
- Assist the Children & Family Ministers with finding subs for teachers and Shepherds when they need to be gone on a given Sunday.
New Family Welcome Team
- Is hospitality and welcoming people something you’re good at? Then this team is for you! Work with a team of people to make sure new families feel welcomed and integrated into the ministries at Zion. Help them to connect with other families, answer questions and help them get their children registered for Sunday School and Wednesday night programs.
- Calling ALL actors! Here is your time to shine. Work with a team of people to take a Bible story and bring it to life on a Sunday morning at Large Group!
- Be ready to wear many hats! You might help families find their classrooms, help sort the supplies in the office or even help with a child’s “owie”.
Music Coordinator (when kids sing in worship)
- Help the Children & Family Ministers to coordinate the Sundays that kids sing in worship. With everything going on, you an be the key to things going smoothly! Kids will sing in worship on 12/8/13 and 4/13/14.
Hall Host (9/15, 9/22 and 9/29 only)
- Help to answer questions and direct families as they are looking for their child’s classroom/teacher on the first few weeks of Sunday School!
Take Home Projects (prep of crafts, supplies, etc)
- With over 400 kids registered for Sunday School, there are a lot of supplies to prep each week! Help with cutting, tying or whatever is needed to prep for various projects.
Help with Special Events
Homecoming Sunday (9/8/13)
- There are so many options to help this day… set up, clean up or at a specific “booth” during the Family Fun Fair! Or we will also need volunteers to be at the Children & Family table at the Ministry Fair.
- Kids in Kindergarten and 4th grade will participate in a Bible Adventure event on 10/12/13 (10 am – Noon) and then receive their Bibles in worship on 10/13/13. Help to plan and lead this wonderful event on 10/12 and/or with details for Bible Distribution Sunday!
Trunk n Treat (10/26/13; 2-4 pm)
- Help to coordinate a fun, family day at Zion – the 2nd Annual Trunk n Treat event! Volunteers will help to recruit “trunks” to be in the parking lot as well as organize a small fall festival to take place inside with treats and games.
Christmas Program (program on 12/8/13; rehearsals beginning in November)
- Volunteers are needed to help assist with the Christmas program rehearsals and the day of the program.
First Communion Instruction (classes on 2/27 and 3/1)
- Help to organize a special day for our kids as they learn about communion through instruction and a Seder supper. Assistance is also needed with certificates and set up for First Communion Sunday.
Change for Children (spring Sundays)
- Work with the Children & Family Ministers to organize the annual Change for Children service event in the spring. Change is collected for 4 Sundays (with each Sunday having a theme) in a row to help support a special cause. This year, we will be doing an on-site food packing event again (4/13/14), so you would get the opportunity to help organize this event as well. The money collected will be donated to this packing event.
Ministry to the Youngest (Birth – Age 3 ministry)
- Do you have a heart for the ministry that happens to our youngest children at Zion? Join a team of people to help organize baby visits, enhance the Rainbow (activity) bags outside our worship area and assist with the Baptism classes led by Pastor Luke.