A gift to the Foundation . . . keeps on giving
The Zion Foundation
- Was established as a non-profit foundation in October, 1978, a separate financial entity from Zion Lutheran Church.
- Receives gifts, invests them and uses only the earnings from these gifts to disperse grants for religious, educational and charitable purposes. No church offerings are involved.
- Is designed to support projects outside of the normal church budget. Gifts in the past have been given for Lutheran college and seminary scholarships, community services and charities such as “meals on wheels” and the food shelf, and special ministries including art, music, counseling and mission trips.
Gifts to Zion Foundation
- Are tax deductible
- Can be cash or anything that could be converted to cash value such as securities, bonds, insurance or real estate.
- Can be given in honor or in memory of a person(s). Gifts could be given on special occasions such as Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, birthdays, graduation, confirmation, Memorial Day, Christmas, All Saint’s Day, Thanksgiving or the anniversary of a loved one’s death.
- Are accepted at any time of the year.
- Differ from a gift to the Memorial Fund as the Foundation gift remains intact and interest income is used for various Christian projects.
To Make a Gift to the Zion Foundation
- Enclose your gift in a green pew envelope or a regular envelope marked with the words “Zion Foundation” or
- Use the Zion Foundation envelope found in the pew rack or in the literature desks in the lobby/narthex.
- Put either envelope in the offering plate, turn it in to the church office or mail it to:Zion Lutheran Foundation, Zion Lutheran Church, P.O. Box 88, Buffalo, MN 55313
To Apply for a Foundation Grant
- Requests are due January 1, April 1, July 1, and October 1.
- All requests must meet the Foundation criteria, and will be reviewed at the next quarterly meeting.
- Print and complete a Foundation Request Form.
To Apply for an Undergraduate Scholarship
- The Zion Foundation provides $350 sophomore year scholarships to members who attend ELCA Colleges.
- Complete this online form.
The Zion Lutheran Foundation is managed and administered by the Board of Trustees. The trustees consist of six members elected by the congregation, the church council vice chair and the full time pastors of Zion Lutheran (for a current list of trustees please contact the church office).
The Foundation and its operation is detailed in the articles of incorporation and by-laws. These can be reviewed in the church office.